Period 2 Only: Hans and Rosa
Liesel has settled into her new family, a motley crew of people not related to her but who all care about her. Consider some of the following questions:
- How does Hans gain Liesel’s love and trust?
- Is Liesel a substitute for Hans’s children, who have strayed from the family?
- Why is it so difficult for Rosa to demonstrate the same warmth toward Liesel?
- Is Rosa the crude, brash, bitter woman she seems to be? Is there another side to her? If so, has that side always been there or is it just brought out on rare occasions?
- Who is in charge of the family?
- How does Max fit into the Hubermann “family”?